Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day with Bourbon Peach Cobbler


Nothing says Memorial Day like good friends, a hot day at the pool, and a box of driveway fireworks.  We had tired kids and since I was partaking in the fun, the day called for quick, easy, and classic food.

Hotdogs and hamburgers were out since I was sure everyone had or would have their fill of them this weekend.  My friend suggested ordering pizza.  Sam's Club sells dough by the case for a mere $16 and change, and I always have these on hand in the freezer.  I figured by the time we pay for delivery and wait, I can whip up 2 pizzas at home.  Of course, cheese for kids and Barbeque Chicken pizza for adults.  Both were gone by the end of the night.

Since it is strawberry season I bought some strawberries and made retro strawberry shortcakes.  If your my age I am sure you had some of these growing up.  Store bought dessert cakes, mascerated strawberries and whipped cream.

My daughter with her Strawberry Shortcake
The dessert for the adults was a Tyler Florence, Bourbon Peach Cobbler.  Tyler is from the South so I knew he probably grew up eating something like this, of course, elevated to his "ultimate" reputation.  This recipe is a cinch and can be made right in your cast iron skillet.  My peaches from our local farmer's market were small so I felt I didn't quite have enough peach.  I would recommend 8 large peaches or 12 small.  The bourbon flavor is light and just gives the peaches a bit of a lift. It is not overly alcohol-flavored so I would feel comfortable serving this to anyone.  The sweet biscuit dough is heavenly.  It was soft, crunchy, creamy...can you tell I am a texture girl.  Last but not least, warm cobbler begs to be topped with a scoop or 2 of vanilla ice cream.

The day felt like a classic summer adventure; exhausted kids that smell like sunscreen, adults with cold beer and good food in everyone's bellies. 

Thank you Dad, Pap, Grammie and all our Vets!  Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment