Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Surprise Hit

It was a lazy Sunday morning, daddy was on the links and the kids were looking for something sweet.  Donuts were on their mind and I wasn't interested in getting everyone dressed for a morning run to Dunkin' Donuts.  There were 3 very ripe bananas on my counter and I remembered a recipe for Banana-Cream Cheese Breakfast Cakes

The Kitchen Aid came out and the kids and I went to work.  This was a quick and easy recipe, my only complaint was I had to clean my mixing bowl a couple of times and had a few too many bowls.  The recipe said that it makes 12 muffins but I found that I had batter for 24.  It is critical that you don't overfill the muffin tin with batter.  I have a tendency to do this to make sure I use every last bit, but please take my advice: practice restraint!  The cream cheese mousse is delicious, but I found it did not penetrate all the way into the middle of the muffin.  It sat a bit on top, sort of like a black bottom cupcake.  Next time I might try to cook the batter a bit before piping the mousse to see if I can get a little deeper into the muffin.

The recipe is pretty cut and dry. I pulled these babies out and I thought 'Eh, they are ok'.  My kids ate them up.  These muffins are something I would definitely make a day ahead since they ended up tasting better the next day.  I was truly surprised at how good they tasted for how nondescript they appeared.  These little gems are wonderful and worth every bit of the extra washing at the sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment