Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad


Bacon, Avocado and Tomato Sandwich
This past weekend was beautiful so I spent very little of my time in the kitchen.  We had sandwiches each day for lunch, and I needed my tried and true spring side.  Anne Burrell's Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad is so fresh and delicious.  I am crazy about asparagus, and I have had it about every way I can think of - with eggs, grilled, with hollandaise, over a steak, etc.  When I was watching Secrets of a Restaurant Chef and she did a raw salad of asparagus, I thought hmmm... I can't imagine what that must taste like.  Raw asparagus? This could be a swing and a miss, but I figured I would give it a shot.  Sometimes you swing for the fence and you strike out and other times you are rounding the bases high-fiving everyone.  (can you tell I am writing this after playing in a softball game :))

Asparagus Salad Ready for it's Close Up

With this salad you are definitely getting high-fives.  First of all there are only 6 ingredients; most of which you always have in your kitchen.  This recipe is very forgiving, and you can really eye ball and taste your way through it.  I have used both Pecorino and Parmesan Reggiano and love both, so which ever you have got on hand will work.  Definitely, use the large hole side of your box grater so you are able to bite into the salty goodness of the cheese.  The red wine vinegar actually softens the asparagus, the acid "cooks" it, and the color of the vibrant green and the purple of the onion look great on the plate.  Let this salad sit for at least an hour on your counter to really develop the flavor.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Ingrid! This looks fantastic and just in time for my transition back to work on Thursday. Way to go with your blog and your recipes: such creativity. Hope all is well in your world. Xo, Lauren

    ReplyDelete