Sunday, July 1, 2012

Spinach and Blue Cheese Souffle

This recipe is one of my husband's favorites; he said that if he had his way he would eat this every morning for breakfast.  The first time I ever made a souffle I was so nervous that it would not puff and it would be a complete failure. Souffles definitely have a reputation of being complicated and touchy; but I figured "hey so am I, I can do this."  Gruyere souffles were my first attempt and they turned out great, no problems at all.  I think souffles are much like the French - they get a bad rap.  Do not be scared of souffles. If you follow the instructions to the letter, I promise you they will turn out and puff just like you picture them.  As soon as you take them out of the oven they begin to deflate, so you must bake and serve immediately. 

Blue-cheese and Spinach Souffles
One nice thing is that there is a lot of do-ahead work that can make you seem like a master chef.  The souffle base can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, that way all you have to do is whip up your egg whites and fold them into your base before baking.  I have become quite comfortable making them and have been able to add my own flair.  I have added ham to the gruyere; used goat cheese; but by far my favorite is blue cheese and spinach!


Follow the recipe exactly but instead of adding the gruyere add 5 oz of roquefort crumbled (or the blue cheese of your choice) and 10 oz of cooked and drained spinach.  I saute my spinach in a bit of butter and olive oil with a smashed garlic clove.  Make sure that you really squeeze the water out of the spinach before adding to your base.  Try this recipe I promise you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment