Thursday, June 7, 2012

Buttered Turnip Puree

Turnips are such an undervalued vegetable!  The first time I encountered the massive root vegetable I thought what in the world am I going to do with this.  As a family we have been trying to limit our processed carbs, so I thought why not try a puree.  The Buttered Turnip Puree recipe is delicious and so easy to make.  It has a sweetness that is more pleasing than the typical cauliflower (mashed potato substitute) we have so often made.  I have also made a parsnip puree, and I have to say this turnip one is by far superior.  It hits all the right notes: light, sweet, a touch of bitter. It is the perfect accompaniment to just about anything.  My only critique on the recipe is the amount of milk you add to the turnips in the food processor. Add a quarter cup at a time until you hit the right consistency, if you add the whole cup at one time it can be runny and then there is no going back.

This particular puree doesn't bring any color to your plate so you will have to pair it with food that is bright and colorful.  We all eat with our eyes first so you don't want to serve a plate with a flat color palette.  I paired mine with a barbequed chicken breast and tomato caprese tower.  The chicken breast was flavored with a barbeque rub and sauce that I had left over from a Bobby Flay fajita recipe.  The rub and sauce were for onions and I had a lot left over.  It worked perfect with my chicken and I was able to make use of something I already had on hand.  The chicken was cooked in a cast iron skillet and it developed a wonderful crust while staying moist. 


Nothing says summer to me like tomatoes, and I mean those ruby red gems that you could just bite into like an apple.  I now must pay homage to my hometown of Lancaster, Pa.  By far, Lancaster grows THE BEST tomatoes.  I have never found a replacement and I beg my family to bring me bushels when they are in season.  My husband and I love our BLT's and cannot get enough of tomato caprese.  Harris Teeter had some heirloom tomatoes that looked decent this week.  I sliced the tomato and salted each slice, then I topped them with fresh mozzarella, a basil leaf, olive oil and a great balsamic vinegar.  Each slice was stacked so that it resembled the whole tomato again.  It was so yummy! 

The meal came together nicely.  The spiciness of the chicken, the buttery goodness of the puree and the sweet tomato gave my husband and I everything we wanted.  I will definitely make this pairing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment