Monday, July 30, 2012

Cherry-Pistachio Tea Cakes

Cherries are in season right now and I am always looking for a way to incorporate ingredients at their peak into my cooking.  Recipes that are quick and easy that can be whipped up in a moments notice always appeal to me.  Cherry-Pistachio Tea Cakes don't even require a mixer, it is mixed by hand.  In my opinion, there were 2 adjustments that needed to be made in the recipe; I believe the cherry must be pitted for people to enjoy biting into this tea cake and the cherry needs to be added later in the baking process if you want it to sit on top of the cake as food network magazine pictures.
Picture with stems and pit

My first batch I did as instructed per the recipe and added my cherry with the pit and stem at 8 minutes into baking.  I found that my cherry sunk into the middle of the tea cake and that when I bit into the tea cake I hit a cherry with a pit that I either needed to pick around or spit out.  I don't want to have a disclaimer on my baked goods about choking hazards.  The flavor was delicious so I decided to try again.  If you want the cherry to sit on top of the tea cake I would add it at about 12 minutes into baking process but my preference is to pit my cherry (which is not as pretty for decorative purposes) and put it in at the 8 minute mark.  This way you bite into your delicious tea cake with a sweet baked cherry in the middle. Cherry Pistachio Tea Cakes are a great brunch addition or to whip up and invite a girlfriend over for coffee, tea and great conversation.

Note: I apologize that I don't have a photo of my second batch with adjustments the kids must have gotten the best of me that day. I will add an updated photo when I make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment