Monday, June 4, 2012

Watermelon Salsa-Two Ways

This concept is so crazy it just may work.  I have been holding onto this recipe for ages but just have not taken the risk to make and serve. Finally I thought - limited ingredients, easy application, and budget friendly - why not go for it?  After a little chopping, here it is: simple, refreshing and delicious.  We ate the Watermelon Salsa with baked tortilla chips, but the salsa would be great partnered with chicken or fish too.  Keep your pieces of watermelon small, even though it is very juicy and may fall apart a bit, this makes it feel more like a salsa rather than just big chunks.  Although you probably won't kill a bowl of this like you would with regular salsa and chips, it is a great way to celebrate the flavors of the season.

Oh wait, we are not done yet!  There was a ton of juice with this salsa so before serving I decided to strain it.  I thought, how about a cocktail...my husband and I tasted it and it was good but very herbacious.  We added vodka to taste and one part simple syrup to the concoction.  I have seen a ton of bars marketing these somewhat savory martinis.  My husband was not a big fan but I really enjoyed it.  Try it...play with different spirits and see if you like it.  I am all about it using everything you have to the utmost so CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment